|1990s : Cooke S4 Primes|
Cooke lenses were designed and made substantially by hand in Leicester, England since 1893. Taylor-Hobson currently manufactures fine metrology instrumentation, while the legacy of innovation and quality optical design established and developed by the Taylor brothers at Taylor, Taylor and Hobson continues today under separate ownership at Cooke Optics Limited.
Cooke became an independent company in July 1998.
In 1998, designs were completed and production began on the Cooke S4 Prime, T2.0 lenses. In 1998, the S4s won a Cinec Award in Germany. In 1999 the mechanical designers and optical designer of the S4 lenses earned a Technical Academy Award for mechanical and optical excellence, and in 2000 were awarded a Technical Emmy from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
Lord Richard Attenborough officially dedicated Cooke Optics’ new 20,000 square foot facility in Leicester in February 2000.
Cooke S4 35mm prime lenses