|1950s : Pros & Amateurs|
By 1955, nearly every 35mm film camera in use throughout the world was equipped with Cooke Panchro, Speed Panchro or Super Speed Panchro lenses.
In 1954, design began on the 18mm Series III Cooke Speed Panchro. Two years later, the new lens, of inverted telephoto construction, achieved an angular field of 80 degrees and f/1.7 while maintaining the modern standard of definition and resolution required for wide screen presentation. The other Speed Panchro to share the Series III distinction was the 25mm, again of reverse telephoto construction and also released in the mid-1950s.
Technicolor cameras were equipped with special Cooke Speed Panchro lenses. (See History page for the 1930s.)
In 1958, Bell & Howell 8mm and 16mm cameras were sold to the amateur photographer with Cookes of various names and focal lengths:
Bell & Howell Cameras c. 1958 sold with Cooke lenses:
8mm Cooke lenses c. 1958 for Bell & Howell cameras:
16mm Cooke lenses c. 1958 for Bell & Howell cameras:
A page from a 1950s Bell & Howell product brochure.
The "International Geophysical Years 1957-1958" were explorations within the South Polar Regions, also known as "Operation Deep Freeze". Special Cooke cine lenses were supplied to the British and American contingents that operated at –75 degrees F., capable of storage without damage at –100 degrees F.
1959 Cooke Kinetal 16mm Prime Lenses
The Cooke Kinetal single focal length lenses were introduced in nine focal lengths. High precision, lightweight 16mm motion picture cameras were being produced during the 1950s offering the film industry an alternative to 35mm capture. Advances in the quality of film stocks and the cost savings compared to filming in 35mm made for an attractive alternative.
The Cooke Kinetal 16mm Prime Lenses were produced similar to those employed in 35mm cinematography: 9mm, 12.5mm, 17.5mm, 25mm, 37.5mm, 50mm - T2.0; 75mm and 100mm - T2.8; and, 150mm T4.0.
Cooke Kinetal 150mm, T4.0, for 16mm Cinematography